Thursday, November 21, 2013



Dawn



This book went by amazingly fast! It pulled me in right from the beginning. It is a fast paced novel that will have you guessing at every turn of the page. I enjoy books like this because I am able to quickly read them and enjoy them.

This book is about Lilith Lyapo, who is a human found in the Andes Mountains, and is brought back to life through biochemically induced Hybernation. The ones who brought her back are known as the Oankali, who are extraterrestrials. The Oankali are are who are left after there was a nuclear war on Earth which caused the near-extinction of the human race and also 80% of the population. What the Oankali want is to colonize thw world with hybrids of humans and Oankali.

This part of the book freaked me out because there were three different types of genders, man, woman, and the Ooloi. The Ooloi are able to change the genetic make up of their bodies to fit either sex. They also have powers that seductive neural stimulate and also they can basically read minds. Breeding with the Oankali produces offspring that are genetically altered in numerous ways. This makes me squirm!! It makes me this way because I believe it isn't right to genetically alter children. They should be born in their original states. When everything is chosen for them they no longer posses their own individuality.

Another reason why I'm creeped out is because this book makes me think of Splice, a scary movie. In the movie these two scientists genetically engineer this life form from the genetic materials of different species. The product of their experimentation is a creature that rapidly develops physically as well as mentally. It eventually becomes slightly human, but much more dangerous. It is able to change its gender because of it inner molecular structure. Long story short this movie scares the hell out of me! It strengthens my reasoning behind genetic altering because something can always go wrong. There are certain boundaries in this world that are not meant to be crossed. However, people today are certainly pushing them to the breaking point.

This book was really good and I plan to read the other books that come after this first novel. I believe there are two more!


No comments:

Post a Comment