Thursday, October 31, 2013



Babel 17



Let me start by saying I have never read anything in this genre before. It isn't something that I would typically choose to read for my personal enjoyment. However, I read this book and actually liked it. I also admit I have never watched any of the Star Wars movies. I think that I might have missed out by not watching them because I think that if I read them I might have a way better understanding of this type of unfamiliar genre.

Babel 17 was a very quick read. You become immersed in the characters world right away and are able to see the relationships between each of the characters. This book was quite different from the books I have read involving outside influences on the main character. Usually the influences are good or bad, and in this case it is both. Usually when a character faces a dilemma or dangerous decision you see the inner struggle of the choices of good and evil. In this book our lead character is actually affected by the influence of her crew that alerts her to the unknown danger she is getting into.

I really like this twist because I don't really see it n many of the books that I read. I like it because it adds more depths to the crew around Cordelia and their relationship. I think its also cool to read about the types of cool "body mods" or body modifications. One of the crew members even has a tail!

What is also quite different about this book is that it is about language. It is a type of language that is extremely dangerous to even speak of. Cordelia specializes in different types of languages and just so happens to discover it. I have never read a book that was based on a language that jeopardizes the world. It is something that is probably not seen in many other literature works beside this.

Due to this factor I slowly lost interest in it. It isn't due to the author's style or the plot of the book, it is just not my cup of tea if you know what I mean. It is kind of difficult to read something that is completely out of your general genre zone. However, by reading this book I was able to enjoy some of the highlights of this genre. I enjoyed the fact that it was on a planet that was unknown to me. I like when a book tells of a place that doesn't truly exist because then I am able to imagine and envision the space to what I think it might look like. Someone else could see it completely different, and that's what makes it so great!! It offers the reader another dimension while going through the story with the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment